Mucheke tuck shop murder suspect nabbed

Date:

Share post:

TellZim Reporter

Masvingo police have nabbed a 39 year-old man in connection with last Saturday’s shooting and killing of a tuck shop owner during a suspected robbery incident.

The suspect Tafadzwa Kanengoni was arrested in Zvishavane four days after the killing in cold blood of Mike Munhungowarwa in Sisk area of Mucheke suburb.

Masvingo Provincial Police Spokesperson Inspector Kudakwashe Dhewa confirmed the incident and said Kanengoni is set to appear in court on January 13 facing murder as well as theft charges.

“I can confirm that after the shooting incident that occurred in Mucheke on Saturday (January 7), our Criminal Investigations Department (CID) officers made investigations into the case which pointed to the accused Tafadzwa Kanengoni. Our officers tracked and caught up with Kanengoni in Zvishavane at the residence believed to be that of his girlfriend.

“After the arrest in Zvishavane, Kanengoni was brought back to Masvingo for indications after which he tried to escape from police custody leading to the shoot out incident,” said Dhewa.

Kanengoni tried to run away from the CID officers who then shot him on one of his feet leading to his re-arrest.

Dhewa also confirmed that Kanengoni is an ex-convict who was released from prison in November last year (2022) before he stole the firearm which he was now using at a shop in Masvingo Central Business District (CBD).

Kanengoni is alleged to have robbed a female Target Kopje resident sometime last year using the firearm though no shooting took place as he just used to the weapon to subdue his victim.

During the Sisk incident, Kanengoni is reported to have demanded cash from the now late Munhungowarwa who gave in to the demand before shooting the latter in cold blood after which he vanished from the scene.

Dhewa however warned would-be criminals to make up their choices before engaging in crime as he says Masvingo is no safe haven for criminals.

“We appeal to members of the public to continue closely working with the police through providing vital information with regards to criminal activities in the areas. However, at the same time let us warn all and would-be criminals to desist from trying to earn a living from proceeds of crime and bear in mind that Masvingo is no safe haven for criminals,” Dhewa said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Man hangs self after wife threatens to report domestic violence

By Tadiwa Shunje A 25-year-old man from Chivi allegedly took his own life on February 14, after reportedly fearing...

Chiredzi 9-year-old electrocuted while  picking wild fruits

By Karen Sibanda A tragic accident has shaken a community in Chiredzi after a nine-year-old boy was electrocuted while...

Masvingo gears up for 2026 Sanganai/Hlanganani World Tourism Expo

By Tadiwa Shunje Preparations for the Sanganai/Hlanganani World Tourism Expo, set to be hosted in Masvingo in September 2026,...

Registration of hospitality facilities critical ahead of Sanganai Hlanganani Expo

By Karen Sibanda Government has underscored the urgent need for hospitality facilities in Masvingo to register and comply with...