BVR nightmare

Date:

Share post:


ZEC chairperson Rita Makarau

TellZim Reporter

MASVINGO – The complexity of the Biometric Voter Registration (BVR) system is already being felt after residents from Masvingo Urban’s Ward 7 failed to register as voters amid reports that the whole ward was missing in the system when the registration process commenced on Monday this week.
Masvingo’s Ward 7 which covers Rujeko A, B and C has more than 10 000 potential voters and they might all be affected if the challenge is not immediately addressed. 
A ZEC official at Masvingo District Administrator’s (DA) office confirmed the challenge but insisted that residents from Ward 7 must keep checking.
Incumbent councilor for Ward 7 Richard Musekiwa said he received several reports from residents though he was yet to enquire with ZEC officials.
“I heard about it; I’m not sure whether the omission of Ward 7 by ZEC is a genuine error or it was deliberate since they know that the area is MDC-T’s stronghold. I am yet to visit the ZEC officials but I communicated with my party leadership and they are looking into the matter,” said Musekiwa.
One resident from Rujeko who was turned away confirmed the matter to TellZim News.
“We were told that our ward is not in the system and we had to wait but it took too long so we left without registering. We fear we may not have a chance to register because ZEC continues to say the ward is not in the system,” said one resident.
Another resident said people from the ward were told to go back home and come back when the problem had been rectified but no date was given as to when the error will be sorted.
Election experts said the case of Ward 7 in Masvingo urban might just be a tip of an iceberg.
“BVR is the best way to go but the system also comes with its own problems. There might be many cases similar to that of Ward 7 and that means, if not rectified in time, many people might fail to register as voters. We urge ZEC to attend to these issues raised as a matter of urgency,” said one election expert.
Efforts to get comment from ZEC chairperson Rita Makarau was fruitless as her mobile phone was not reachable by the time of going to press.top news

TellZimNews
TellZimNewshttps://tellzim.com
TellZim News is the leading news organization in the Southern region. It provides candid, balanced and timely news from the communities. Keeping it real. Committed to tell Zimbabwe.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Building a Resilient Nation: Why Community Psychology Must Guide Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Revolution

By Tafadzwa Cecilia Matewe, Intern Community Psychologist For nearly three decades, Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Act has been the...

Bikita man attacks uncle, aunt with axe over witchcraft

By Tadiwa ShunjeMASVINGO - A Bikita man from Chikwira village, Chief Mazungunye has been sentenced toeight years in...

Takunda Madembo is next Zim cricket big star

By TellZim Reporter Masvingo’s Takunda Madembo, popularly known as “Hitman”, is rapidly becoming one of the most talked-about names...

Sugar cane farmers clash with Tongaat over cane price

By Beatific Gumbwanda MASVINGO – Sugarcane farmers have appealed to the Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs and Devolution,...