Freedom for Kurauone after 42 days in remand

Date:

Share post:

Godfrey Kurauone

…as court acquits him
on charge of blocking traffic

MASVINGO
Masvingo
magistrate Patience Madondo today, September 09, acquitted MDC Alliance national organising
secretary Godfrey Kurauone on a charge of obstructing free movement of traffic.

The magistrate declared
Kurauone, who languished in remand prison for 42 days, not guilty after
indicating that the State had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it
was indeed Kurauone whom they claimed to have seen blocking roads and burning
tyres in Mashava on July 31.

She said evidence of the
two State witnesses was on some instances inconsistent, with one of them failing
to assert categorically the colour of the jacket that he claimed he saw
Kurauone wearing on the alleged crime scene.

She said the State’s
submissions were further complicated by the fact it had neglected to check at
Kurauone’s house in Masvingo the moment they supposedly saw him in Mashava to
help dispel possibilities of mistaken identities.

Before his acquittal,
Kurauone had been denied bail first by the same court and then by the High
Court on August 13.

When Kurauone was arrested, he was out on bail on charges of
undermining the authority of the President and the case is still pending before
the court.

In the evening of July 31, Kurauone, in the company of his
lawyer Martin Mureri, reported to the Law and Order Section of Masvingo Central
Police Station as part of his bail conditions and that is when he was detained.

“We had always known that our client was innocent and was
facing fabricated charges as a way of fixing him for political reasons. The
State had no case and they knew it form the very beginning,” said Mureri, who
worked with instructions from the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR).

Kurauone, who is also
councillor for Masvingo Urban Ward 4, will go back to court on September 24 for
continuation of his trial on undermining the authority of the President.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TellZimNews
TellZimNewshttps://tellzim.com
TellZim News is the leading news organization in the Southern region. It provides candid, balanced and timely news from the communities. Keeping it real. Committed to tell Zimbabwe.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Building a Resilient Nation: Why Community Psychology Must Guide Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Revolution

By Tafadzwa Cecilia Matewe, Intern Community Psychologist For nearly three decades, Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Act has been the...

Bikita man attacks uncle, aunt with axe over witchcraft

By Tadiwa ShunjeMASVINGO - A Bikita man from Chikwira village, Chief Mazungunye has been sentenced toeight years in...

Takunda Madembo is next Zim cricket big star

By TellZim Reporter Masvingo’s Takunda Madembo, popularly known as “Hitman”, is rapidly becoming one of the most talked-about names...

Sugar cane farmers clash with Tongaat over cane price

By Beatific Gumbwanda MASVINGO – Sugarcane farmers have appealed to the Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs and Devolution,...