8 marooned in Tugwi River, one still missing

File picture

Beverly Bizeki

Two groups of people were marooned on islands in Tugwi River after the river was flooded from the heavy rains received this week and seven were rescued but one 12 year old girl is still missing.
Masvingo Provincial Police Spokesperson Inspector Kudakwashe Dhewa confirmed the developments and said a search party was still looking for the missing girl.
“All of the people who had been trapped on two islands along the Tugwi river have been rescued except one female aged 12 and people are still looking for her,” said Dhewa.
It is alleged that on the given day at around 1500 hours, Revai Zivuku (49), Chipo Madzatsa (26), Tagwirei Madovi (45), Tariro Chitapa (29), Estina Kurauone (37), Pauline Ndlovu, Jesca Mudzingwa and a 12-year-old girl all from Village 4 in Mukosi settlements crossed two rivers Tugwi and Musongwezi going to Maringire and while on their way back after crossing Tugwi they found Musogwezi flooded.
The group decided to go back to Maringire where they were coming from to seek refuge and whilst they were halfway crossing Tugwi, water levels increased and they were swept away by the water.
Madzatsa, Madovi and Chitapa were swept away to the shores of the river alive and they managed to seek help for the other people that had remained in the water. On the other hand, Zivuku Kurauone and Ndlovu were thrown on an island on the same river and at around 1530 hours of the same day Genius Nyika from Maringire Village saw and reported the matter.
The sub aqua unit was informed and the police rescued Kurauone, Zivuku and Ndlovu but the 12 year old was not found.
On the same day at around 1430 hours, Josphat Govo (40) and Angela Munyaka (29) from Gandashaka Village Headman Masunda in Chivi were crossing Tugwi River and water levels increased while they were on the midst of making their way out of the river.
The two were swept away and managed to get to an island on the river. Tererai Dhinara saw the two people marooned on the island and informed the police who watched ashore before the arrival of experts.
At around 0600hours the following day the two were rescued by other villagers and the police.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here