Mwenezi man protests roadblocks, disappears with handcuffs

Date:

Share post:


Cephas Shava

MWENEZI – A 36-year-old passenger who was angered by the endless police roadblocks on the road threatened to commit suicide, labelled police officers thieves before disappearing with a pair of handcuffs, the Mwenezi Court heard last week.
Farirepi Nhongoviro of Mutoredzanwa village, Chief Nemauzhe in Chivi, pleaded not guilty on disorderly conduct and escaping from lawful custody charges when he appeared before magistrate Honest Musiiwa.
Nhongoviro said the police merely arrested him because he dared ask the driver of the car he was travelling in the nature of the offence he was being charged with.
He argued that he did not escape from custody, saying he went straight to the police camp after his arrest because the police officers who had handcuffed him wanted to keep him for the whole night at the roadblock as a way of fixing him.
However, one of the officers who was at the roadblock on the day in question, Brian Siyabonga told the court that Nhongoviro scolded him and his colleagues, calling them perennial thieves.
They also alleged that Nhongorivo threatened to cause a scene, blocked some motorists from freely moving and threatened to throw himself in front of moving cars.
The State’s case, as presented by prosecutor Willard Chasi was that on May 13, 2017 at the 166 km peg along Masvingo – Beitbridge highway, Nhongoviro was a passenger in a car that was stopped at a roadblock.
He allegedly engaged in riotous conduct by running around the road block shouting at police officers and disturbing the free movement of vehicles.
After being arrested at that roadblock, the handcuffed Nhongoviro allegedly ran away and disappeared into the darkness.
He was later spotted that same evening on his way to Mwenezi police station where he was arrested again.
The trial continues next month.local

TellZimNews
TellZimNewshttps://tellzim.com
TellZim News is the leading news organization in the Southern region. It provides candid, balanced and timely news from the communities. Keeping it real. Committed to tell Zimbabwe.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

High Court nullifies Mushaya Headman appointment, orders installation of Farai Munerei

By Staff Reporter ZAKA – The High Court has declared the re-nomination and re-appointment of Wilson Nhongo as Headman Mushaya...

ZCTU calls for mineral reforms to benefit ordinary Zimbabweans

By Staff Reporter The Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) has called for reforms to Zimbabwe’s mineral sector to...

RCZ to open two more clinics in Binga

By Virginia NjovoThe Reformed Church in Zimbabwe (RCZ) is set to commission two additional clinics inBinga District by...

Brick by Brick: Walking by Faith When God Calls 

By Shanna Mazorodze Success is often measured by buildings, businesses, and balance sheets. Yet, for me, every brick laid,...