Rimbi High pupils shut down school over abuse of funds

Date:

Share post:


A placard made by the demonstrators demanding that the school head and the SDC chair must leave the school

TellZim Reporter

CHIPINGE – Angry pupils at Rimbi High temporarily blocked entry into the school in protest against alleged blatant abuse of funds and poor management by school head, Phineas Mundeta.
The rowdy demonstrations saw pupils locking school gates and making loud chants denouncing Mundeta whom they accused of, among other things, buying a faulty FAW school bus which broke down a little more than one year after purchase.
Police details were seen at the school after being called by Mundeta who reportedly felt threatened by the developments. School activities resumed only after 15:00 hrs after the police managed to calm down tempers.
School Development Committee (SDC) chairperson, identified as Douglas Chibhamu, is said to have called for an urgent meeting with parents and teachers on Wednesday, January 31, to try and resolve the conflict.
TellZim News learnt that pupils were angry that they had to find their own transport when travelling for seminars, sporting events and other school programmes because the bus, which was bought in 2015, was no longer working.
One pupil said the belief was that the school head deliberately bought the faulty bus because he had been given kickbacks by the dealer.
“The head was always hiring the bus out to Chibuwe High School and other institutions yet it was faulty and this worsened its condition. Right now, we are still required to pay the $10 bus levy but we have never used the bus,” said the pupil.
A teacher who agreed to speak to TellZim News on condition of anonymity praised pupils for demanding accountability.
“The bus is said to be in Harare for repairs but we are all not happy with how things are being handled. The head bought a different bus from the one that parents had identified,” said the teacher.
When contacted for comment, Mundeta refused to comment and referred all questions to Chipinge District Schools Inspector (DSI) Richard Gabaza who, in turn, said he had not yet received formal communication about the matter.
“We received the news and we are still to get to the school. We need to first gather more details about the strike,” said Gabaza.local

TellZimNews
TellZimNewshttps://tellzim.com
TellZim News is the leading news organization in the Southern region. It provides candid, balanced and timely news from the communities. Keeping it real. Committed to tell Zimbabwe.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Building a Resilient Nation: Why Community Psychology Must Guide Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Revolution

By Tafadzwa Cecilia Matewe, Intern Community Psychologist For nearly three decades, Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Act has been the...

Bikita man attacks uncle, aunt with axe over witchcraft

By Tadiwa ShunjeMASVINGO - A Bikita man from Chikwira village, Chief Mazungunye has been sentenced toeight years in...

Takunda Madembo is next Zim cricket big star

By TellZim Reporter Masvingo’s Takunda Madembo, popularly known as “Hitman”, is rapidly becoming one of the most talked-about names...

Sugar cane farmers clash with Tongaat over cane price

By Beatific Gumbwanda MASVINGO – Sugarcane farmers have appealed to the Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs and Devolution,...