‘King Mine to re-open in 2020’

Date:

Share post:

… as questions
arise on how $10 million GZU money was spent

Courage
Dutiro
Officials
at King Mine in Mashava say production at the mine will resume in 2020 next
year when the dewatering process and repairs on the mill are done.
The
Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs Ezra Chadzamira and his
delegation toured the mine last week and they were told that much dewatering
had been done since the beginning of the year.
“The
process is taking longer to complete because of a shortage of equipment and
foreign currency but we have de-watered a large part of the mine. This process
has seen some of the underground workers being called back to work,” said Luckson
Dziva who spoke on behalf of the CEO.
He
said much of the money to do the work was coming from Great Zimbabwe University
(GZU) which is using some of the mine’s properties on a lease basis.
Chief
Operating Officer (COO) Stephen Nyagura said 93 employees had been called back
to work on the dewatering exercise which he said was expected to be complete by
October.
“We
are expecting to finish the de-watering process by October this year. Repairing
of the mill will be done starting from October up to May next year. After the
process of repairing the mill and other machinery, production of ore will then
resume,” said Nyagura.
Chadzamira,
however, queried the management’s assertion that all the $10 million paid GZU
in rentals had been invested in dewatering alone.
He
ordered that they write a report explaining the expenditure as he suspected
there could be cases of corruption and misappropriation of the funds.
He
told the mine officials that work should be done faster so that the mine could
contribute to President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s vision 2030 of turning the nation
into an upper middle income economy.
Promises
of the resuscitation of Mashava mines are, however, not new but nothing has
materialised to date.
While
campaigning at Mucheke Stadium in the run-up to the 2018 harmonised elections
on June 15, President Emmerson Mnangagwa promise the Mashava mines would be re-opened
by July 31 of that year.
Production
at the mine stopped in 2008 due to financial restraints after the government
seized operations from businessman Mutumwa Mawere’s Shabani Mashaba Mines (SMM).
The
company used to operate shafts at Gaths, Temereire and King, employing
thousands of people.

TellZimNews
TellZimNewshttps://tellzim.com
TellZim News is the leading news organization in the Southern region. It provides candid, balanced and timely news from the communities. Keeping it real. Committed to tell Zimbabwe.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Building a Resilient Nation: Why Community Psychology Must Guide Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Revolution

By Tafadzwa Cecilia Matewe, Intern Community Psychologist For nearly three decades, Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Act has been the...

Bikita man attacks uncle, aunt with axe over witchcraft

By Tadiwa ShunjeMASVINGO - A Bikita man from Chikwira village, Chief Mazungunye has been sentenced toeight years in...

Takunda Madembo is next Zim cricket big star

By TellZim Reporter Masvingo’s Takunda Madembo, popularly known as “Hitman”, is rapidly becoming one of the most talked-about names...

Sugar cane farmers clash with Tongaat over cane price

By Beatific Gumbwanda MASVINGO – Sugarcane farmers have appealed to the Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs and Devolution,...