MoHCC to conduct phase 3 clinical trials for 14-17 yr olds vaccination

Date:

Share post:

Kimberly Kusauka

 The Ministry of Health and Child Care is going to conduct a phase 3 clinical trial to include children from 14-17 years in the vaccination program as part of efforts to reach the national herd immunity by December 2021.

On September 6 all schools opened doors to pupils for the resumption of lessons which had been stopped as part of precautionary measures to curb the spread of Covid-19 and the whole nation was placed on level four lockdown but learners are back at schools without being vaccinated.

There are already positive cases being recorded in schools as the pupils return from a very long break due to Covid-19.

MoHCC Public Relations Officer (PRO) Donald Mujiri said the Medicines Control Authority of Zimbabwe (MCAZ) gave a conditional authority for vaccination of children which entails the health ministry conducting a phase 3 clinical trial first before rolling out the vaccination program.

“Right now MCAZ ordered MoHCC to conduct a phase 3 clinical trial before including children from the age of 14-17 in the vaccination program so that the Ministry starts vaccinating the pupils,” said Mujiri.

He also said the Ministry is in the process of implementing the conditions ordered by MCAZ as soon as possible so that vaccination program for pupils aged 14-17 commences in schools.

“The Ministry is at the moment in the process of implementing MCAZ’s conditions and once that is complete the roll out program will begin in schools,” he said.

Phase 3 clinical trials will see the rolling out of Sinovac vaccine to children aged 14-17.

In Masvingo province 65 pupils had tested positive to Covid-19 at various schools in Gutu District by September 15 2021, as well as nine from Kriste Mambo High in Manicaland province hence the need for government to speed up the vaccination program for pupils from the age of 14 to 17 to keep in check the looming disaster in schools.

Masvingo Provincial Medical Director (PMD) Dr Amadeus Shamhu confirmed the cases and said they are waiting for a directive from MoHCC.

“I have received reports of pupils testing positive to Covid-19 but we are yet to receive a circular from the ministry to include children from the age of 14 to 17 in the vaccination programme.

“For now we urge both teachers and pupils to abide by the Covid-19 regulations of sanitizing, masking up and maintaining social distancing in their schools so that they do not contract Covid-19,” said Dr Shamhu.

The safety of school learners remains a bone of contention among various stakeholders with teachers’ unions accusing government of neglecting the welfare of learners by opening schools hurriedly and with little or no proper protection equipment in place in public schools.

TellZimNews
TellZimNewshttps://tellzim.com
TellZim News is the leading news organization in the Southern region. It provides candid, balanced and timely news from the communities. Keeping it real. Committed to tell Zimbabwe.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Building a Resilient Nation: Why Community Psychology Must Guide Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Revolution

By Tafadzwa Cecilia Matewe, Intern Community Psychologist For nearly three decades, Zimbabwe’s Mental Health Act has been the...

Bikita man attacks uncle, aunt with axe over witchcraft

By Tadiwa ShunjeMASVINGO - A Bikita man from Chikwira village, Chief Mazungunye has been sentenced toeight years in...

Takunda Madembo is next Zim cricket big star

By TellZim Reporter Masvingo’s Takunda Madembo, popularly known as “Hitman”, is rapidly becoming one of the most talked-about names...

Sugar cane farmers clash with Tongaat over cane price

By Beatific Gumbwanda MASVINGO – Sugarcane farmers have appealed to the Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs and Devolution,...